From a trading center to the city of Schleswig
In 1200, Schleswig was granted city rights and in 1218, with the coronation of the king’s son Waldemar, experienced the peak of Danish power in the Middle Ages. In addition, Schleswig with its cathedral and cathedral chapter formed the spiritual center of the diocese of Schleswig.
In the area of today’s Lollfuß, there was a small settlement of a few buildings along the connecting road between Schleswig and Gottorf in the 16th century. Under the influence of the castle, the settlement increased in the following period. Mainly servants, craftsmen and artists of the court were at home here, while primarily higher officials settled in today’s Schleswig Old Town and in Friedrichsberg.
Friedrichsberg developed into a larger settlement at the same time as Lollfuß in the vicinity of Gottorf Castle, to which the first noble families also moved. Otherwise, the village initially consisted mainly of economic facilities of the court. A decisive impulse for the development of the settlement was the construction of the Gottorf Dam under Duke Adolf in 1582, which connected Friedrichsberg with Lollfuß on the northern bank of the Schlei. In 1650 the settlement received its present name Friedrichsberg.
In 1711 the independent settlements of Schleswig Old Town, Lollfuß and Friedrichsberg became a “combined town”. They have preserved their own character until today. After the Great Northern War (1700-1721) and the associated victory of Denmark over the Duchy of Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorf, the Gottorf portions of the Duchy of Schleswig fell to the Danish king, who was also Duke of Schleswig.
From 1840, the German-Danish conflict became the dominant issue in the town, whose citizens predominantly sided with the German Schleswig-Holsteiners. Among other things, the Schleswig-Holstein-Lied was created in Schleswig. At the same time, the first blue-white-red (Schleswig-Holstein’s colors) banner was displayed.